Business Development Analyst & Comms specialist focused on construction, Real Estate / Property, Building Consultancy / Architecture / Listed Buildings, Interior Design & Real Estate Investment. Strong interest in Wellbeing Policies, including Mental Health & menopause, for Employee Retention.
2018 PGCert Real Estate Finance & Investment* University of the West of England, UK
2009 MA Interior Design (Distinction) University of Westminster, London UK
1999 MA Visual Theory (Distinction) University of East London, London, UK
1994 BA (Hons) Architecture RIBA** Part I University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
*RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) fast-track course
**Royal Institute of British Architects
2019 Wellbeing Sabbatical - re-adjusting career direction & learning Wellbeing techniques including meditation; QiQong; nutrition.
2015-2018 Bid Writer, PR & Marketing Analyst AHR Building Consultancy (Aedas), W Yorks
• Devising and ghostwriting innumerable published features for Directors and the MD, with the
goal of raising brand awareness across multiple built environment industry sectors. Noted for
my ability to write on technical subjects in a highly engaging style which led to 100%
acceptance of all pitched features to the industry press.
• PR liaison, monthly briefing and management of external PR company to ensure prompt &
strategic placement in relevant press, aligned with annual programme of trade fairs.
• Creation of Social Media strategy; devising and writing SEO-optimised blog / social media
campaigns, including to avert losses from Direct Marketing relating to GDPR regulations.
• Utilising analytics and results of Digital campaigns in order to make changes (for example in
terms of tone of voice, post frequency, angle) to drive improved traffic and engagement.
• Production of annual Marketing & Business Development Plans across our Core Sectors.
• Analysis of competitors; monitoring broader industry trends; future-scoping; strategic
business analysis on the effects of economic scenarios (including Brexit).
2010-2015 Self-Employed Editorial Consultant & Ghostwriter, London & Yorks
Innumerable contracts across Editorial & PR Consultancy, as a writer and ghostwriter, and as a
Lecturer / Critic. Contracts and roles, including:-
• Working with an award-winning investment Fund Manager, including helping him to
devise and structure his proposal, resulting in a contract with leading UK publisher
Bloomsbury; the resulting book was subsequently well reviewed in the Financial Times;
• Consulting on a monograph for a New York-based Turner Prize winning artist;
• Ghostwriting contracts for a Rome-based contemporary artist, including a week’s intensive
work together in Rome; ghost-writing a book for two theatre directors; title-by-title editorial
contracts for various publishers including Thames & Hudson.
• Devising & ghost-writing Thought Leadership pieces for AHR (then Aedas) before the
relationship developed into a salaried position, and PR consulting for a bespoke architect.
• From 2010-11 a role as Contributing Design Editor on the design-led lifestyle magazine The
Hub, positioning the design segment in distinction to existing consumer titles; writing
features; styling shoots, and conducting interviews with leading product designers.
• Editorial work assessing the quality of submitted novels for a leading London literary agency.
• Visiting Critic on the MA Interior Design course, University of Westminster, & formal Mentor.
• Various lectures & round-table panels on pitching for publication, including for the University
of the Arts, for the London School of Fashion and the University of Ulster.
2008-2010 Group Manager & PR, Historic Buildings Conservation Alan Baxter, London
• Research into and analysis of key industry issues, including shifts in heritage funding
priorities (for example the Heritage Lottery Fund) and Government legislation.
• Compiling planning histories of residences in Kensington & Notting Hill and of Georgian
mansions for planning consents, for developers, hotel chains & high-profile private clients.
• Heritage Design Guidelines to ensure sensitive compliance with Conservation Principles.
• Managing graphic designers and co-ordinating subconsultant content, including encouraging
designers to balance perfectionism with time-management for Bids with very tight deadlines.
• PR Strategy for the Heritage team, including how to articulate our Value Positioning on
issues such as sustainability in listed buildings, as distinct to competitor approaches.
• Project-specific work including a report which fed into the London Plan and a report for the
Gloucester Heritage URC as regards the role of heritage buildings in regeneration.
1999-2007 Commissioning Editor, Art and Visual Theory I.B.Tauris, & Researcher, Laurence King, London
• Devised and commissioned entirely new publishing list for I.B.Tauris, managing PR, Sales,
Marketing and Production Teams, including monthly presentations to Sales on how to
position titles to buyers, and hiring graphic designers. Titles retailed in leading galleries and
were positively reviewed by the TES & BBC Radio 4.
• Control of budget & contracts for the list, including negotiating royalties & picture budgets.
• Winning over extremely sought-after authors, despite tight budgets, by building rapport.
• Overseeing authors’ writing processes, aiding them with clarifying concepts & structure.
• Commissioning a balance of authors across 3 key territories, UK, US and Australia. Liaising
with Sales Manager on appropriate content for our New York partner Palgrave.
• From 2000-2003, Picture Researcher, Architecture & Design, Laurence King, London, concurrent
with role at I.B.Tauris, researching and clearing permissions on illustrative content, including
liaising with high-profile architects and designers globally, as well as photographers and
picture agencies; assistant on European royalties contracts